Saturday, January 9, 2010

HB 176

HB 176 will be voted on Monday. It will be the first bill voted on this session.


The purpose of the bill is to make Kentucky eligible to apply for "Race to the Top" funds from the federal government. I just finished reading it. It is an improvement over what we have now, allowing for the takeover for low-performing schools.

However, it could be much better. We could have charter schools, or even vouchers. It as if we are trying to do the absolute minimum to be eligible. I believe the federal government is looking for states to be bold and allow for new ideas. This bill does not do that.

There are 3 good amendments filed by my fellow House Republican members. I plan to vote for them all. I'll vote for the bill in the end, but it will be a missed opportunity.