Thursday, December 13, 2007

Inauguration Day

I attended the Inauguration on Tuesday. It is always nice to see the peaceful transfer of power at every level of government, and Tuesday was no exception. I had the chance, albeit brief, to introduce myself to the new Governor. Gov. Beshear said it was great to meet me and he would like to sit down together sometime. Hopefully we will have the chance to do that eventually, probably in January. Of course, he probably met about 1000 people that night, therefore our conversation may not be at the forefront of his mind. But I am sure eventually we can schedule 15 minutes to get to know each other.

The Governor's speech focused on broad themes instead of specific proposals, with one exception, ethics. There was many references to bipartisanship. I look forward to seeing that in action. Although the new Governor and I are bound to disagree on some items, I stand ready to work together on what we agree on to benefit the people of the 69th District.